Q. How do I transition my pet to ACANA foods?
Dogs and cats are often fed the same food for a long period of time, which means a sudden food change makes it difficult for their digestive systems to adapt. That’s why it’s important to introduce new food gradually. Going slowly will give your dog or cat time to adjust to their new food and will also reduce the chances of digestive upset. Start by mixing 25 percent new food with 75 percent old food. Slowly increase the new food proportionately over the next 5-7 days until you are feeding 100 percent new food.
Q. Which ACANA diet should i choose?
The first time you transition your dog or cat to ACANA, we recommend selecting a recipe with an animal ingredient that matches the food you are currently feeding. This will help allow for the easiest transition and help minimize the risk of gastrointestinal upset. For example, if your dog is currently on a poultry-based diet, you may want to try the ACANA Prairie Poultry or Wild Prairie.
It is also important to consider the life stage of your pet. With foods for puppies, kittens, adults, seniors and All Life Stages you’re sure to find the right fit. A FEDIAF statement indicating which nutrient profile the food is formulated to meet can be found on our website under the “Ingredients & Analysis” tab of each respective diet.
Check our diet selector.
For more specific dietary needs, please contact our Customer Care department.
Q. What is a rotational diet? Can I do this with ACANA?
After initially transitioning to ACANA, what many Pet Lovers do is a method of feeding known as Rotational Feeding. Rotating between ACANA formulas prevents your dog or cat from getting tired of eating the same thing day in and day out, while offering them a great variety of proteins and fats. A good place to start is rotating by the bag – when you have finished one formula, your next bag will be a different recipe. The first time you introduce a new food for rotation, mix the food 50/50 just to make sure your pet transitions well to the new ACANA food. However, if your dog or cat is more diet-sensitive, do a full transition when introducing a new ACANA food – after that you can change at will.
Q. HOW DO I CHOOSE BETWEEN ACANA PRODUCTS?
There are so many options! You can mix and match any way you like, so experiment and see what works best for you and your dog. Our ACANA dry kibble, freeze-dried foods or canned foods can be fed as a complete meal on their own or used in combination for a delicious option. Some options to try:
- 100% Dry Kibble: Our ACANA Dry Kibble options offer a complete and balanced meal that can be fed just on its own.
- 100% Freeze-Dried Food: Freeze-dried animal ingredients provide your dog with a rich, concentrated source of protein and nutrients, just like a raw diet – but in a convenient, dry form. This can be rehydrated with warm water to be fed as a complete meal.
- Freeze-Dried Food As a Topper: Do you have a dog that is sometimes a little bit picky and you need to entice them, or do you want to add a delicious mix in to change up mealtime? Feeding ACANA dry recipes with a topping of our Freeze-Dried Foods may be a great fit for you that your dog will thank you for with tail wags galore.
- Canned and Dry Combo: You can feed an ACANA dry recipe in the morning, and switch to one of our canned options when the dinner bell rings. This is a great way to keep your dog interested and excited about mealtime.
- Canned or Freeze-Dried Food As a Topper: Do you have a dog that is sometimes a little bit picky and you need to entice them, or do you want to add a delicious mix in to change up mealtime? Feeding ACANA dry recipes with a topping of our canned recipes or Freeze-Dried Foods may be a great fit for you that your dog will thank you for with tail wags galore.
Q. Do you have any feeding tips?
Feed according to your dog or cat’s size, breed, stage of life and activity level. Consider that puppies and kittens require up to twice the energy of full-grown pets, and that overweight and senior pets often need smaller meals – just like people!
We recommend that for most pets, you feed twice daily. Simply divide the amount suggested on the feeding guide into two meals, spaced eight to 12 hours apart. For example, if the feeding guide calls for 1 cup per day, we recommend feeding ½ a cup in the morning and ½ a cup at night. You may need to adjust portions as you learn your pet’s ideal daily maintenance amount. These amounts may change over time as your pet’s age and activity levels change. Always keep in mind that a lean dog or cat is a healthy pet.
Many dogs and cats have large appetites and will eat everything you feed them. As ACANA foods are highly palatable, you need to be careful not to overfeed, as this can cause issues such as loose stool or unwanted weight gain.
Q. How many treats should i feed?
We all love to give our pets treats. However, treats should be given in moderation and should represent 10% or less of your pet’s daily food intake. The rest should come from a nutritionally complete feeding program. When using treats frequently, such as during training exercises, try to use small pieces.